Muller urges Council to consider flying Lockwood design on Elizabeth Street iconic flagpole
Local MP Todd Muller is urging the Tauranga City Council to support flying the alternate choice for NZ flag on the Elizabeth Street flagpole.
“We are heading into the final stage of the referendum and it is critical that our local community has a chance to see the alternative flag in full flight to assess which of the two flags they support.
“Flying the alternative design locally has been approved by the flag consideration panel and is endorsed by local civic leader Peter Farmer. Peter is willing to fund an alternative flag, so now we need our elected local council leaders to make it happen.
“The flagpole is an icon in our city and this referendum is a once in a generation event. That is why I have approached the council to consider whether the two flags could take turns being displayed on our flagpole. This will allow the community to see their options expressed in the most vibrant way – on our great flagpole.
“I think the alternative flag is going to look fantastic flying up there,” said Mr Muller, who is a strong advocate for change. Hopefully now the council can support it happening”.
The other places in our community that are showcasing both flags are listed below:
· 41a May St, Mt Maunganui
· 16 Moa Street, Mt Maunganui
· Sun Pacific Villas, 123 Muricata Avenue, Mt Maunganui
· Waimarie Street (just past Totara / Hewletts Rd), opposite Port of Tauranga, Mt Maunganui
· Hynds, 84-86 Newton Street, Tauranga
· Papamoa Beach Family Tavern, 20 Domain Road, Papamoa, Tauranga
· Tauranga City Council, 91 Willow St, Tauranga
· Tauranga Hire, 15th Avenue Road, Tauranga
· 12 Hazelnut Way, Bellevue, Tauranga
· 39 Vivian Drive, Omokoroa, Tauranga
· Tauranga Bridge Marina, Berth E03